Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Birthday Party!!!!

Blair's first birthday party was this past Saturday. We had it a week after her birthday since we were flying back from Courtney and Austin's wedding on Blair's birthday. We had tons of friends and family come. It was the hottest day of the year. The high was 94 that day. The house was a million degrees with everyone inside. Thank you all for hanging out in our VERY hot house! Blair got lots of great gifts and books. Nick is very happy for the new books because he is over "Mr. Brown can Moo." Blair was very dainty when she ate her cake. She really just picked off the icing.

So here is the story of Blair's first birthday cake. I made her cake. I had great plans for it but it was not what I had planned on doing, but it turned out great anyway. I searched online and ended up finding a super cute 3-D Rubber Duck cake pan from Wilton (appropriate Zeta's, huh?). It is a 2 piece cake pan. You fill the bottom piece up with batter and then put the top on and the cake rises into the top.

This is what it is supposed to look like.
This is what it made on my first attempt.
Remember this guy from the movie "The Goonies"??? Kinda looks like my cake... grrrr!
I'm so happy that I made a practice cake. I would have been really embarrassed if that is what I presented to my precious baby girl for her first birthday cake. Anyway. After making 2 more cakes, each with more batter to hopefully rise to fill the whole pan, the cake still looked like Sloth. I was very disappointed with Wilton. After making a third cake, mom put the two sides together and realized that the sides were not even the same shape! So it was not me, it was the cake pan. So I ended up cutting the bad side of the duck off and just laying the good side down on a round cake. It turned out great anyway and was very yummy!


A few pictures from the party


We had a great time! Thanks for everyone who came!!!

No comments: